- Creating a FTP user group:
groupadd ftpusers(or a group name that you'll be able to identify as the FTP group)
- To add a user to this group, and set the default path of that user to /home/user/:
adduser -g ftpusers -d /home/user/ftpuser1
- Now you'll want to set a password for the created user. Run this command:
- Now that you have a user name and password set up for your user, you'll want to set ownership of directory /home/user to ftpuser1 and ftpusers:
chown ftpuser1:ftpusers /home/user
- Next, you'll give Read/Write access to ftpuser1 and all future members in ftpusers:
chmod 775 /home/user
- After permissions have been set, you'll then need to edit the vsftpd.conf file and make sure local_enable=YES is commented out.
- Restart the ftpd service:
service vsftpd restart
You now have FTP users and a FTP group.